Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Life Full of Blessings

Wow! Life has been a whirlwind the last few days. It's been CRAZY! First, we'll discuss the best news of the week:
DEREK GOT A JOB! He is working for a construction consulting company called PatMac that is located in 6 different states: The Carolinas, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. So, right now Derek is the superintendent for a job in Gwinnett County. It's been quite a shock going from being a laborer to the manager, but he definitely likes it. He has a little air-conditioned office on site with a work computer. He's most excited about the air-conditioned office for sure. haha. We are so excited for him! We are definitely seeing the fruits of our labors, but more importantly, we are witnessing the hand of our Heavenly Father in our lives. What a happy time!
As for me, I started my first day in the ER on Monday. Since then I have seen a woman vomiting literally all blood constantly while we are bolusing fluid into her, I've seen a man who had a continuous blood clot from the top of one leg down to his toes, and I've participating in a Cardiac Arrest (which ended in a demise) and went in with the doctor to break the bad news to family. I've also seen a lot more, but those are the best noted. All the people that I am working with are very sweet and nice to me. I am REALLY enjoying it. However, it has been quite a culture shock because I am literally 1 of 4 white people that work in the ER right now. And that's including the managers, clinical educators, etc. So basically, I am 1 of 3 white nurses. It isn't bad, I just have to get used to cultural differences between African Americans, Bahamians, Virgin Islands, and all these other countries. In short: they are all black. What I like though, is none of them discriminate against me. They all love me and are SO willing to help me out. I am learning a TON.
Derek and I find a great apartment in Stone Mountain. We move are going to move in during the first week of July right after Independence Day. We are really excited to be able to live all on our own and be completely financially independent, but we are sad to leave our friends and family. But hey, it's only an hour away!
Let's see....I sing in church tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes later. Well, I'm going to go so that I can maybe do some homework or do a little reading.

5 comments:

alyssa said...

That's a ton of stuff going on, that's awesome!!

Job and Rachael said...

Wow! That is a ton of stuff going on! But sounds like great things, congrats to both of you on your new jobs and getting an apartment! :) Way cool about the ER! I can't wait to hear more stories about what you get to do! :)

Laura said...

I'm glad that everything seems to be working out for you guys!

Laura Anderson said...

I'm so glad that both of you got jobs! :) That's great!

Elliot and Traci said...

CONGRATS!!! I'm so happy for you. I just read your story about getting hired. I'm glad you had options and you KNEW where you were supposed to work. Now you can just pray for Elliot that he'll get a job, okay? :) Oh, and congrats to Derek for getting a manager position. That's great! Glad you guys are doing so well! You deserve it.