I cannot believe that my baby boy
is already 2 ½ weeks old! Wow, time has already flown. Of course, it’s not hard
to have your days run together when you spend 1/3 of your day breastfeeding.
Haha, but honestly, I’m not complaining. I will not lie when I say that it was
very frustrating for me at first, and I did want to quit a few times, but now
it’s going really well and I enjoy that closeness with my son. I also will not
lie and say that everything has been perfect, I will admit to feeling depressed
and overwhelmed at times. However, none of those emotions were ever because of
my son, nor am I sad to have him. On the contrary!! He puts a smile on my face
instantly whenever I see him. I constantly am sitting and waiting in anticipation
for him to wake up so that I can look at those big blue eyes and give him tons
of kisses. Although I give him kisses and cuddles in his sleep a lot too. I may
not be the perfect parent, but this child will never feel that he is not loved
by his mother.
It has also been very sweet to
watch Derek interact with him. He loves holding Marquette. He will go pick him
up if he ever finds him asleep and gives him lots of TLC. He calls him names
like “My MMA fighter, jujitsu warrior, etc.” Whereas I call him “Mr. Bright
Eyes, Little Guy, and Kitten.” The nicknames kitten comes from the sound he
makes when he breathes during nursing. It’s really cute and he literally sounds
just like a kitten.
It was really fun to have all of
the company the past two weeks since Marquette arrived, but I will say that I
was definitely ready for life to get back to normal. I felt like I never had
any time with Derek to myself, which was hard for me. I have become a little
jealous of our time together. And now that we have our own little family, I
want to start doing more activities on our own now. I also want to start going
to play dates or group socials where the moms bring their kids and converse
while the kids play. Obviously Marquette won’t really be playing with anyone
for a little while, but it’s fun to think about.
I just want to take a second to
document the things that I have learned about Marquette already:
·
He never cries, except when he gets cold when we
take him out of the bath.
·
He literally only fusses when there is something
wrong. Ex: wet diaper that has gone up his back, hunger, air bubbles in tummy…that’s
about it. He doesn’t complain about typical dirty diapers.
·
He likes to kick his covers off. If I swaddle
him, his arms will be completely out with his legs out of the bottom the next
time I check on him.
·
He is very strong, he already holds his head up
very well for long periods of time.
·
He grunts to let you know he doesn’t like
something.
·
Sometimes he gets really excited and his
respiratory rate increases and he starts moving around vigorously.
Things that I love:
·
If you give him kisses when he is awake on the
side of his cheek he will open his mouth wide, put his lips right against
yours, and move his head back and forth like a little bird asking for a worm. I
call this act him giving me kisses. Although really it’s a reflex, I laugh and
it melts my heart every time.
·
I love his alert and attentive eyes. When he is
awake he is constantly looking around. Although I know that he can’t really see
anything right now, I know that he is taking in his surroundings constantly.
·
If he falls asleep on my chest, his arms wrap
around my arms like he is giving me a big hug.
·
I love watching him sleep. I swear he smiles and
laughs in his sleep. I also have seen him make some very sad faces in his
sleep. I think he is dreaming. I would like to argue that he is dreaming about
the previous life, or maybe seeing the savior when he smiles…I dunno. But it’s
very sweet.
·
Most importantly: I love that he is mine. I love
knowing that not only is he my flesh and blood, he is sealed to me forever. I
am so excited to watch him grow and learn. I hope that he gains a testimony of
the gospel and becomes an amazing man. I already know he has a sweet and tender
spirit and I am going to work as hard as I can to help him know who he is and
why he is hear. I want him to know the Savior the way both Derek and I do. I am
happy that he is going to be the big brother to the rest of his siblings. I
just know he will be a good example.
2 comments:
This was so, so sweet Gina. You are an amazing mom, and you have one beautiful little boy. I am so happy for you :)
I love the pictures. He's so cute. I remember the cuddling stage. Enjoy it because I wish Ava would cuddle now. She won't even give me a hug.
Post a Comment