Thursday, April 16, 2009

Oregon Trip and Final Grades

I'm a little annoyed because this stupid blog isn't letting me move the pictures...so here they are...all out of order...erg
Breakfast time
Grandpa and me!
Reading to Grandpa


Helping Grandpa with his Oxygen and little sores on his ears



Eating breakfast!




Silly!!


CHEESE! They are so cute!


Grandpa and Grandma...the technology wizards. Actually, they were talking to mom and the family on skype.



Grandma laughing!!


Chillin at Uncle Doug and Aunt Margie's!!


The Family visiting


My certificate for being half-way through the nursing program




Derek and I took a trip to Oregon to visit my relatives during our week break from school. It was so nice to see everyone again! I'm a little frustrated with myself because I didn't take as many pictures of the Garner Family as I should have...especially since I don't know the next time I will see them...darn...




First, Grandma Durfee wasn't feeling too well Saturday and Sunday, so we switched up our plans and spent the weekend with Uncle Doug and Aunt Margie (and family). I had a great time! I loved visiting with everyone, especially the girls. I'm also really grateful that Derek was able to get to know the guys in the family and got along really well! We mostly visited, which gets a little difficult for Derek, but he was very patient and polite. However, we did play games Sunday night which was very fun. What's REALLY surreal is the fact that ALL of my cousins have kids, except Valerie...but she is pregnant! WEIRD! And I'll probably be next...well...maybe Laura could beat me, I don't know. I'm really happy for them though. All their kids are SO CUTE! Seriously, they are adorable and have way cute personalities. And of course, Uncle Doug and Aunt Margie were SO good to us. They are SUCH good people. Derek probably told me every couple hours how good of a man Uncle Doug is.





Monday, we went to Grandma and Grandpa Durfee's. I was actually really relieved that Grandma was feeling better. A lot of people are worried about her, and I am a little too, but she didn't seem too bad at all. She still laughed at jokes and talked to us a lot. Grandpa was his usual funny and sometimes a little perverted self. Although honestly, the stuff he says isn't 1/4 as bad as you hear nowadays...it's more just the fact that a little old man is quick enough to think of jokes or one-liners that fast. I asked Derek if he would hit on me the way grandpa hit on grandma when we are that old because it's so darn cute! I made, set up, and cleaned up lunch and dinner for them. It was really nice to be able to serve the couple that raised my parents. They are just the sweetest, most loving couple I have ever met.



Tuesday we spent the day with Grandpa Hiatt. It was so good to see him too! It was a little harder for me to see him because he has become much frailer and slower. He can't really walk anymore unless he has a walker, and even then he moves very slow. He is hard of hearing and sometimes I don't think he always understands what you are saying. But he is so sweet. When we got there, we were just about to head to breakfast and he asked me to get a $10 from his wallet. I didn't know what it was for, so I got it for him. When we were at breakfast, he gave it to a CNA to pay for our meal. I immediately got up and told the nurses if we needed to pay, I would cover it. Well, they let us eat there for free! Which was a nice gesture...but it really touched me that Grandpa Hiatt (who has like NO money) would pay for us. Breakfast wasn't great...but it was nice to just be with him. Visiting Grandpa made me grateful for being in the nursing program because I knew how to help him to the bathroom, how to make sure his oxygen was working properly, and check for other little problems that can happen. We took a lot of video which was nice. I think one of my favorite things was reading a story to Grandpa. He had a book with little stories in it and he asked me to read one outloud, so I did. Grandpa also slept a lot...which is kind of funny because he turns the TV up SO loud you can hardly hear yourself think...and then he just falls asleep. Dad told me later on the phone I should have just turned it down when he fell asleep, but I was afraid he might wake up. So, I left with a headache, but it was worth it. He is a good man with a very good heart.

I was sad to leave on Wednesday. I don't know the next time I will get to see everyone since Derek and I are going to go to TX for Thanksgiving...I hope it is sooner than later for SURE!



Oh, Derek and I also found out our grades yesterday. And guess what...I GOT A 4.0!! Even in the class of she-who-must-not-be-named I got an A!! I was SO relieved. I pretty much knew I was gonna get an A in all my other classes, but I was particularly worried about this one. It feels SO good! And the good news is, I almost feel ready for the next semester to start on monday. It is nice to be able to go year round and just get it out of the way. And even BETTER news is that Derek got good grades in his classess too! And he was taking 17 1/2 credits! I'm hoping next semester he can get a few more A's, but HEY! At least us leaving in December is looking REALLY GOOD!! WAAHOOO!!!



Derek and I have been so blessed. We have been blessed with an amazing family, the gospel in our lives, a nice apartment we hardly have to pay for, and I get full ride! We may have to take out a loan this fall since money is really tight...but that's ok!! We're gonna be graduating with comparitively little debt. I mean for TWO people we will have well...let's just say it's not too bad at all. I think we'll get it paid off pretty fast. I am SO grateful for that. Anyways, I'm need to go make dinner for my starving husband!

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Congratulations on your grades, that is awesome! I have never gotten a 4.0, I don't know how you did it. That's awesome that you got to visit with your family. I love when I get to see mine! Especially my grandparents.