The Swine Flu is very prevalent right now and a lot of hospitals are trying to keep it under control. So the hospitals are requiring that any staff and volunteer (AKA student nurses) have to get the Flu vaccine. Well, staff get it free and the nursing students have to pay $15. So I go down to get my shot today during my 15 minute break from clinical and I ask to pay for my shot and they tell me that they only take cash and check. Uh oh...I only brought a debit and credit card. The coordinator was really nice and tried to find a couple ways for me to get some cash from my card, but to no avail. I understood and just told them that I would get the shot at the Rexburg Clinic sometime next week (although I was a little worried when I would find time). The next thing I know, this sweet lady walks up to me and goes "I have $7 if you have another $8." I smiled and thanked her but told her that I really didn't have any cash on me. So she turns to some of the other staff and says "Who has a couple dollars they could spare?" And this other guy pulls out some cash from his pocket. In about 10 seconds there were 15 dollars in her hands and she was paying for my flu shot. I immediately spurted out, "No no! Really, it's ok! I have the money, it's just on my card. It's really ok! I don't need it." and the lady says to me "Just think of it as a gift and get the shot." But I resumed, "No no no, really, it's not a big deal." And she still says "You can pay me back later." And I go, "ok I'll pay you back next week. I promise." So I ask her what her name is and she wouldn't tell me! I had to get someone else to tell me. So then I ask her what department she works for. And she goes "Nursing." Well, DUH! But there are like a million nurses at the hospital. How was a supposed to find her. So I ask her what part and she says. "It's a gift. Just be thankful and get your shot." I felt kinda bad at that point. And then she said, "All I ask is that you pay it to someone else later..." So, I got my shot humbly and went back upstairs to complete my clinicals. But this is what the lady didn't know...
1) Yesterday we were given 2 different parking tickets within 1.5 hours due to miscommunication...which means major $$$$
2) Derek and I are a little strapped with our finances due to obligations we couldn't foresee (we're fine really...I just get worried)
3) I was really stressing about money over the last few days and have been praying rather fervently to Heavenly Father for some help, support, love, and answers.
That lady did not know it, but she was an answer to my prayers. She kept us from paying $15 we didn't have in our budget to spend, she reminded me that there are good people in the world, she refocused the reason why I started this program (to help others in need), and most of all, she reminded me that my Heavenly Father is always watching me and is mindful of my needs. Today, she was my angel sent from above. So, Miss Kim Jardine...you may not know what an impact you made on my life, but I promise that one day I will pay it forward to someone who is in need. I just pray that Heavenly Father will guide me to the perfect moment and time.
No comments:
Post a Comment