Friday, November 14, 2008

Grandma Shumway's Funeral

On the morning of Sunday, November 2, 2008, Derek and I got a call from Derek's mom saying that Derek's Grandma Shumway had passed away. Derek immediately began his plans to decide when he was going to head out to California. I did not think I was going to get to go. However, on Tuesday morning, after Derek had already left and had been driving 2 hours, I was checking my E-mail before going to class and found that my major Nursing teacher totally supported me going. Not only that, but ALL my teachers supported me going with my husband and being at the funeral. So I called Derek and he, being the loving husband that he is, turned around and drove two hours back to get me. He ended up driving a total of 14 hours that day (I only drove 2 of it because it was really rainy and slushy and I don't do well driving on icy roads ever since my accident). 
Tuesday night we stayed at Derek's aunt and uncle's house. They are from the Marquette side of the family. We had a really good time socializing with them. Derek also loved the fact that we got to go to "In and Out Burger" and the orginal "Del Taco." Anyway, his Aunt Debbie and Uncle Tim were really nice. 
Wednesday, we drove one last hour to Riverside to meet up with the entire family at Grandpa Shumway's house. It was SO nice to see Jaclyn, Ethan, Jennifer, James, and of course, Mom and Dad. I had missed them SO much! Both Derek and I had. I also got to meet the ENTIRE family. Some of them didn't arrive until later in the week, but I met EVERYONE except for 1 cousin. It was really fun to get to learn where Derek gets some of his personality and character traits. 
I think my favorite part of honoring Grandma Shumway was the viewing. I just felt the spirit a TON while I was there. When I saw her in the casket, I honestly felt like I knew her and that she loves me. It was powerful. Everyone was given an opportunity, if they wanted, to stand up and say a memory they have of her or something they love about her. I didn't, but what many people said was very sweet. I loved it. 
The funeral was also good. I liked that there was a luncheon afterward so that I could continue to become acquainted with more of the family. I took some pictures and so I would like to share some of them.


Me, Grandpa Shumway, and Derek
Dad, Grandpa, and Derek
Derek, Uncle Bob, and Dad
Morning Time!
Breakfast with the Fam
Cutie Pies
Derek's house when he was a little, little boy
My Nephew, Baby Ethan!
Me and Dad with his million ketchups
Big D playing with James
James sleepy. What a cute boy. 

3 comments:

Rachel Burt said...

Very cute blog!! I love it! What fun pictures you were able to get while in Cali. I'm glad you guys are home though! Keep Nate busy while he has all this 'free time'. :)

Robinson Duo said...

Thanks for your post. I can't believe how different our house looks painted that way. I almost didn't recognize it. I loved all of your pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Shum said...

I am so glad you were there! You have captured so many wonderful events and expressed them so well!