Monday, November 3, 2008

A Sobering Day

Yesterday morning Derek and I awoke to a phone ringing. I knew what its purpose was before Derek even answered it. Derek's grandmother passed away. Derek has been taking it well. He is strong, although I think it will hit him once he gets to California. I was actually really upset because I was so looking forward to meeting his family over Thanksgiving and now that's not going to happen. I will have to wait to meet his Grandma Shumway in the next life. We basically spent the rest of the day trying to decide when Derek was leaving, if I was going with him, what we might possibly do for Thanksgiving etc. The idea was briefly entertained that we might fly to Georgia for Thanksgiving, but that was quickly shot down because Derek and I don't have that kind of money and I don't want to put the stress on my dad. SO, I think we will be spending Thanksgiving in Rexburg. (I'm actually thinking about turning it into like a little service project where all the couples left alone in Rexburg can have thanksgiving together!) Anyway, I was pretty bummed because I am missing my family beyond compare. Both actually. I really need to see our families more than once a year.
Derek and I also decided that I need to stay in Rexburg to keep up with all my school work. I am really bummed. I really want to see all of Derek's relatives. I miss Derek's family a lot and I really feel like I am going to miss out. HOWEVER, I know that I am supposed to stay in Rexburg and so I will follow my feelings.
I hope and know that Derek will be glad he went and hopefully at least enjoy or cherish the trip. These times are bitter and sweet. *sigh*

3 comments:

Laura Anderson said...

That's sad. I'm sorry to hear about Derek's grandmother. Maybe we can do something during Thanksgiving. Bobby and I will be in Shelley Thanksgiving day, but I think we'll just be there that afternoon. Let me know if you want to do something during the break!

RD Durfee said...

Sorry to hear about Derek's Grandmother. Your always welcome here. We haven't played rook for a long time.

Robinson Duo said...

Nice beard, Derek! I am glad you were able to go to the funeral, Gina. I hope enjoyed meeting all the Shumways.