Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thanksgiving Break

Thanksgiving Break was a nice break from school for me and work for Derek (although he only technically got two days off). I spent the first weekend and Monday writing a paper. It wasn't really fun but now the end of the semester has been a total breeze and very stress free. If I wasn't scrap-booking and watching a movie, eating, or hanging out with friends, I was sleeping. It seems that when my body realizes that I am on vacation, it decides to sleep. 
We spent Thanksgiving Day with our great friends, the Smiths. They have 5 kids and they are quite a joy to be around. It's really fun to play games with them and watch them laugh. Their youngest, Rainey, is just about the cutest thing I have ever seen. The dinner was absolutely amazing. Annette, is a FABULOUS cook. Her rolls are so moist and soft and...mmmm...yummy... Derek and I stuffed our faces. We also met a very nice couple who I wouldn't mind getting to know better. 


Cutie Pie Rainey

Some of the Family and Friends
The only picture I got of Derek

Enjoying the food
CHEESE!!
The next day I woke up early and went to Walmart and Porters (the scrapbook store). I bought some of Derek's and my favorite movies for only 6 bucks each!! Two of them I got for $2!!! Yeah, I was happy. As soon as I got home we started packing and then headed out to go camping. Derek got us lost and what should have been a 30 minute drive ended up being an hour. It wasn't too bad though, I just thought of Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin's talk "Come What May, And Love It." What a great man. I'm sad but at the same time happy for him that he has past away. I think he was ready to return home to father and do his work on the other side. 
I was a little nervous to go camping at first. I was afraid I would be cold the entire time. But really, it was a BLAST. Our friend Austin came which was awesome and Derek kept me warm by keeping a huge firing going the entire time. I laughed so hard my sides hurt listening to Austin and Derek make jokes. We have a little grill that my parents gave us and we had grilled cheese and hamburgers for our dinners. We had pancakes, eggs, and sausage for breakfast (thanks to Austin), and then sandwiches for lunch. It was so yummy. It was also nice because we didn't have to worry about anything thawing if we left it out, everything was nice and cold due to the weather. haha. Derek had a great time chopping up firewood and climbing trees to retrieve more, Austin constantly made us laugh, and I cooked and just looked cute by the fire. hehe

All suited up in over 3 layers (at least I was)
Huddling around the fire
Me getting warm
Derek the monkey
The kitchen

Thanksgiving break was very relaxing and I was very grateful for it. I am also grateful for...

Derek: He is the best thing that has ever happened to me. He makes me laugh, keeps me from stressing, and is a man of God. He is a hard worker and knows what he wants. I cannot wait to see what Heavenly Father has in store for him. He is everything I need in a husband. Whenever I am feeling down, he holds me and comforts me. He listens to me and supports me in all my decisions and choices. When we do disagree, we talk it over and compromise. I am excited to grow older with him, have children with him, and become closer to our Heavenly Father with him. 

My Hiatt Family: I love my family. I miss them so much. They are the ones that raised me in the gospel, taught me my standards, and gave me all the love any child could possibly need. My father has always participated and watched all of my sports activities as well as dance and theater. He and I are so alike it's uncanny. His confidence and eagerness to serve people is such an example to me. My mom listens to me, loves me, and knows everything about me. She is so selfless. She never talks about herself, instead she listens to your problems. She has a quite strength and integrity that I admire. Cheri is the one I call when I need cheering up. She is spunky, happy-go-lucky, and forgives everyone. She is a true example of a good Latter-day Saint as well as an amazing Sister. I know she will be successful in all she does. Joel is the jokester in the family. He makes everyone laugh and has the sweetest spirit. He has a special place in my heart. He is so talented in so many ways. Laurel is the little genius. She has such a valiant spirit (all my siblings do). She is sweet and loving. She cares about others and helps whenever she can. She is mature and wise beyond her years. I look up to her a lot. My entire family means the world to me. I am so grateful for their love, and laughter in my life.

My Shumway Family: I loved my in-laws the minute I met them. I will admit, I was nervous at first to meet them (it was Derek's and my first date). Derek's mom is so loving and sweet. She loves to treat us and is always telling you how much she loves you. No one goes unloved when they are with her. Derek's Dad is amazing. I have respected and looked up to him ever since I met him. He is a very loving man. Even though I don't know the Robinsons well, I love them. They are such a cool family. Josh was so nice to me when I met him in April and Dionne is a blast to hang out and go shopping with. I hear we are actually a lot alike. The Gillilands are very special to me. They have blessed Derek and me so much by helping us out in numerous ways. I always loved playing games with Dave and Jennifer. Jennifer is so sweet and kind. And James...he is the sweetest boy. The Hunters are the first of the siblings I met. I wanted to marry Derek just so I could be Jaclyn's sister. She is so sweet and caring. One thing I admire about her is her patience and ability to not let things bother her (or at least not let it show). Heffe is hilarious and so much fun to be around...oh Heffe. And cute little baby Ethan. I can't wait until the day I can hold him. I'm practically bursting at the seams to see both families over the Holidays

My Freedom: I am so grateful for the freedom I have in this country and for the men who give and dedicate their lives to keep us safe and free.

The Gospel: I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. It brings the most happiness and love anyone can imagine. I am grateful for the temple and that I am sealed to my family and my sweet husband forever and ever. I am grateful for my Savior and the atonement. I know that it is through him that we can all be saved. He is the light and love. He is the only way though which we can receive eternal life. I am so grateful that I can enjoy the sweet blessings of the gospel throughout this life and the next

My Education: Although it is really tough, stressful, annoying at times, and challenging, I am SO grateful to be able to receive an education. I am so grateful for my scholarships and grants that enable me to have a free education and so that I do not have to work. I know having an education will greatly benefit me in the future.

My friends: Derek I have been blessed with so many friends. The Burt family have been a huge blessing and support in our lives. We have met many friends in our ward and are grateful for them. I'm so grateful for my friends back in Georgia that continue to stay in touch with me. I miss them a ton and am excited to see them soon!!

2 comments:

Hiatt Family said...

I am glad your recognize the things in life that are most important. Please keep that perspective and you will always know joy.

You are reminding me of your Mom, only not quite as hot.

Shum said...

What a great blessing you are to me, Gina! I love your blog! You are a trooper to go camping with Derek!