Well, now I'm a little annoyed because I literally sat down and wrote over 2 pages for this entry, went and took a nap, and when I got back my computer had shut itself down. It's some routine thing it does every now and then. I'm quite honestly, livid. It makes me want to write a quick synopsis and be done, but I won't. I feel it is too important to journal my break with our families.
Firstly, school got out on my birthday. What a birthday present! Once Derek got home from work we headed to my favorite restaurant, Texas Roadhouse. It was a lovely dinner and we had a great time stuffing our faces (although I really didn't eat my main entree considering I had 4 of their delicious rolls, a huge plate of fries, and a ceasar salad before I started on my ribs). Afterward, we hurried home to start our "Batman Marathon" (we just bought both the Batman Begins and The Dark Knight movies and wanted to watch them both). Well, after watching 45 minutes of Batman Begins, we switched it to the Dark Knight. We only got through about 30 minutes before we decided we were too tired to continue watching. I didn't mind though, it was a great day nonetheless. I really cannot believe I'm 20. That is just scary to me.
Derek and I at Texas Roadhouse for my birthday!
Sunday we started our 4 hour black ice and snow-filled drive to
The next day was spent with Jennifer in the morning and then Jaclyn, Jeff, baby Ethan, and Derek's parents in the afternoon and evening. It was so nice to see Jennifer and James and spend time with them one on one. When Jaclyn and Jeff got to Derek's parent's house, I was so excited. I hadn't seen Jeff in over 8 months and baby Ethan just keeps getting cuter and cuter (not to mention bigger and bigger) every time I see him. We played a lot of games and did a lot of catch up talking, which was really nice. The day went by so fast, that it seemed like an hour and the day was over. I didn't let it bother me though, because I still had another week with them soon.
The next morning the Hodges picked me up at 8:30am. We went and meet at IHOP with Hollar and Ashley for breakfast. It was SO much fur to see them! We just couldn't stop talking. We literally got to the restaurant at 9:00am and didn't leave until after 12:30pm. It was ridiculous. There were so many laughs and a lot of reminiscing. It honestly felt as though I had never left. I cannot wait to move back so that I don't have to play catch up once a year. The hodges eventually dropped me off at my house and stayed for a little bit at 3:30. My mom wasn't home, she was out grocery shopping. However, it wasn't more than 30 minutes before she arrived. We immediately started buzzing with excitement. Cheri walked in the door probably 3 minutes later, and then our house REALLY came to life. All 3 of us were interupting each other trying to get some funny story or memory or comment in. It was hilarious. And that's pretty much how the entire night went as each family member finally came home. Derek came home around 10pm (which was the plan since he was out with his friends) and the family finally retired around 11:20pm (the kids were still in school).
The next day Derek and I went with Mom and Dad to Dad's work party at Fires of Brazil. It was pretty fun. The food was great and we played that gift exchange game. Probably the funniest thing that happened while I was at my family's house happened at the restaurant. See, my mom and I loved the cheese bread there. We had a few left and wanted to take them home. But since it was an "all you can eat" restaurant, you aren't supposed to be able to take anything home. So, when my mom got her gift, she wrapped them up in the gift-wrap paper and kept them in the bag of the present she had just received. I told mom that it would be hilarious if someone would want to steal her present. Well, literally 2 people later, her gift got stolen. My mom's face was priceless. She had this look that said "BAAAAA!!!!!" and there went the cheese bread with the man. My mom and dad were really embarrassed. We ended up telling one of the other workers, Erica, who is really outspoken and fun, and she went and retrieved the cheese bread. Omgosh, it was so funny I about died. That night was spent conversing with the family some more.
Friday was filled with Doctors appointments. That night Derek, Mom, Dad, and I went to the temple which was really nice. It was nice to be in what I consider to be "My Temple" again. Afterward, we went and picked up the family (excluding Cheri) and went to Chili's. It was a lot of fun. When the dessert cake came, it was just like last year. Joel, Laurel, and Derek fought over it. It was pretty amazing because it was literally gone within a minute. We had a blast.
The Family minus Cheri at Chili's
Saturday, we went to Cheri’s dance performance. Cheri has become a phenomenal dancer. It kind of made me sad, because I realized how much I have missed over the last year and a half. Cheri is a confident and talented young woman, Joel has grown so tall, is funny, and very talented at the guitar and piano, and little
Sunday was nice, it was good to see all of my friends again. They seemed happy to see me too. I had a lovely and very special talk with Brother Zabriskie, a good talk with Brother Schmidt, and many other catch up talks with other people. It was so good to see them and remember what a good ward I came from. That night, our family played lots of games if I remember correctly. That night at around 8:00pm we went to the Hodges for a little Christmas Party with all my old high school friends. It was so great to see them and laugh like old times.
Derek and Austin schooling everyone in pool
Monday, Derek and I took Joel, Laurel, and Cheri to Costco and then out to lunch. It was kinda fun to do something with my siblings out of the house. Tuesday, the Hodges came over around noon and we played King-Queen-Begger for the next like…5 hours. It was pretty fun. I think I will definitely remember it. Haha. Wednesday was Christmas Eve. Of course, Dad had us go Caroling. We really only went to the Hilton’s house thought because everyone else weren’t home. It was a nice thing to do though, now that I look back on it. Other than that, we just spent a lot of family time together. I think we watched like 4 hours of Man vs. Wild. Hahaha. It was fun.
When Christmas came, I was pretty sad because I knew it was the last day with my family for awhile. However, it was a good day. Derek and I got a Tomtom and some itunes cards. He also got a pair of pants and I got a watch and gorgeous antique bracelet. We spent the day playing Rock Band and spending time as a family.
Derek rocking the drums and Cheri singing
That night mom read the Christmas Orange. It’s one of my famous stories. And considering I was already pretty teary, I balled my eyes out. I was like the only one of course. I was pretty happy yet upset at the same time that night. When we said our goodbyes the next morning, I wanted to cry again but I stopped myself, I know that my parents already knew how I felt and I didn’t want to make things worse.
Derek’s parents came and picked us up Friday morning. Derek’s mom was so excited to pick us up and I could tell that Derek was as well. I don’t think he realized how much he missed his family until this break. I think it will definitely help us when it comes to moving back home to
When Jaclyn and Jeff arrived I was so excited to see them! They are just the coolest people ever! When Jennifer, Dave, and James came over, it was so nice to have almost the entire family there. I wish the Robinsons could have been there too…maybe one day in the future. It just wasn’t the same without all the Nephews.
Sunday was fun because after church all the family came over which was great. Monday, Mom went to the Doctor while Derek and I went to get our Marriage Certificate so that I could change my name. While we were gone Jaclyn and Jeff went back to
Tuesday, Derek’s mom, Derek, and I went to the Tag office and DMV so that she could get her handicap sticker thing and so I could get my name changed on my Drivers License. That was quite an ordeal, which I won’t go into. After that we all went to the mall. We went to this store called “Sephora” which I guess is “The place for make-up.” Well, I ended up getting a make-over and I guess it looked pretty good. It was kind of embarrassing or awkward because I watched 3 different women come in, look at my face, and go purchase the make-up she was using. Another two women stayed the entire time to watch my make-up from start to finish. The women kept saying “You are so gorgeous,” “You could be a model.” It was nice to have compliments, but a little too flattering or too much attention drawn to me. Well, I really liked the make-up. I thought it was a little too dark for my taste, but I figured I could do it a little lighter. When I looked at the price of the make-up I nearly choked… but it was so tempting….and Derek’s mom said she would treat me to a little bit of it… and so I bought it… I felt kinda guilty because I had never spent more than $5 on any kind of facial stuff, but it looked so good. I had to get it…
The next night was New Years Eve. Let’s just say…it was a New Years Eve to remember. My hands sucked the entire night. I ended up coming in 2nd to last, just like the year before. *Sigh* However, I was later awarded the “Good Sportsmanship Award.” I guess I was happy the entire time. I just felt it was more fun to try to be happy than complain. Derek came in 4th. I was very happy for him. Dave and Jennifer left around 10:30 and so the rest of the family played Hand and Foot. I really liked that game, I thought it was really fun. When Midnight came around, we drank sparkling lemonade and made a toast. It was a nice and quiet, yet special, New Years Eve. We all agreed it was a chance at a new start and a year to make progress. That night, I ended up staying up with Jaclyn and Jeff until 3:00am. I knew I would be tired in the morning, but the conversation was so great and I didn’t know the next time I would be able to see them. It was definitely worth it to get the one on one time in.
The Ever Famous New Years Eve Rook Tournament
New Years Day we went to Jennifer and Dave’s. It was very nice. I mostly watched Derek play video games most of the time, but I liked it. It was a nice chance to relax and enjoy the family’s company. I was also sad that day too, because I knew it was the last day with family. I didn’t want our vacation to end. We left the Gillilands at about 7:30pm to go home and pack. After we finished packing, we looked through Derek’s mission scrap book and played on last game of Rook. After that Derek’s Dad gave Derek a father’s blessing. It was a very sweet and special blessing. I’m very glad I was able to be there to experience it. Then, we went to bed around 11:30pm only to get up at 3:30.
We finally got home around 7pm Friday night and have been sleeping on and off ever since. I feel kind of bad that I haven’t been doing anything productive, but I feel like catching up on sleep and rest is the best thing to do right now.
School starts on Wednesday. I’m a little nervous. I think it’s going to be a very demanding and busy semester. Everyone has told me that it is the hardest academically in the nursing program. Well, oh well, here we go. I’m going to have Derek give me a priesthood blessing. I do have to admit that I am a little excited to be able to go to school with Derek this semester as a married couple. EEK!
No comments:
Post a Comment