Saturday, May 16, 2009

School, Sickness, Car troubles...Life

A lot has happened since the last time I wrote. First, school is going well for both of us. Derek just got a job yesterday working as a custodian for the school. He works from 4am-7am every morning before school. So far he doesn't mind it. I think he's just more excited we will have a little income...hopefully...

Derek really doesn't say much about his classes. He says they are way easier than last semester which is good. Hopefully there won't be as much stress on him about passing all of them.

School is good for me. It's really busy. I pulled five 12 hour shifts in 8 days last week in order to get a "preceptorship" done for school. I work in Labor and Delivery and LOVED it! It was so much fun to be with people celebrating one of the best days of their lives. It was such a happy place (for the most part). The only problem is it made me really wish I had a baby. So I went to the nursery during one of my shifts and held and bottle-fed babies for 2 hours. It was awesome. However, I am glad that is over with because the day I finished I got really sick. I haven't been this sick in a LONG time. Luckily I only technically go to school two days a week for the most part and I was able to sleep a lot. I just feel REALLY tired, achy, a little nauseated along with a head cold, runny nose etc. But I feel a LOT better today. My actual classes are going well and I'm not too worried about my grades which is nice.

Let's see...the day after our Anniversary Derek got really sick, and I mean SICK. He could barely move, his respiration rate was about 29/min and labored with a pulse 133, temp 101, and BP 135/80. He was dizzy, diaphoretic and could barely move. I have never really heard Derek complain and he was saying how badly he hurt every 5 minutes. So I called Derek's mom to ask how Derek acts when he gets sick and she told me that he never really gets sick and definitely never complains. So I rushed him to the Doctor. When we told the doctor we thought he might have the flu he sarcastically said, "Oh well maybe you have the swine flu!!!" and I thought, "uh....you need to check him out before you start poking fun at anything." Well, after sticking Derek with 2 different needles, taking 4 different culture swabs, and an X-ray the doctor concluded that Derek had Influenza A, Influenza B, and a bacterial infection in his lungs. YEAH! Seriously. Oh, and his swabs were sent to Boise to be tested for Swine Flu (although we never heard anything back from them so we assume it was negative). So Derek got sent home with antibiotics, antivirals, and I got sent home with some prophylactic antivirals. WHEW! It was a LONG day! I would also like to say a BIG thank you to Derek's parents for their love, support, and help!! And to my parents too for reminding us how much they love us too. Luckily, Derek was back to his happy-go-lucky self about 4 days later.

Derek went on a Fathers and Sons camp out last night. Before he left I asked him to take care of our stuff and make sure nothing came back broken (I had the strangest feeling that something would end up wrong). WELL, Derek came back this morning in a foul mood. What should happen but not only did 2 kids pee on our car thinking it would be humorous, but our car got stuck in 4 Low gear and won't move. SO, we figure there is something wrong with our transfer case OH YEAH and the Transmission seems to be slipping...So now we have to take it into an auto shop (after one of our friends looks at it to see if he can figure it out). I'm really hoping that our warranty will cover at least SOME of it. I'm pretty much freaking out. It was REALLY hard for me not to say "I told you so." But Derek promised me that he didn't do anything rough to the car. (I will admit it didn't sound too good this last week when I drove it). I guess I'm struggling a little with patience and endurance.

I kinda feel like I'm in a little bit of a rut...First we ended up paying $1000 dollars for school that we didn't plan on, then Derek got extremely sick and we still haven't received the bill from the Doctor yet...then I got sick and so I'm behind on homework, and now our car is having major engine problems and I know a transmission problem can cost in the thousands of dollars, which by the way we DON'T have...I'm just really stressed and tired and annoyed and done with school and being a student and being poor and just...ugh...I don't know. I wouldn't even mind being poor if we had even a LITTLE income. But Derek's new job probably will barely pull in $100 a week and I can see that money will already be gone before it gets into our bank...ugh...I'm just stressed...maybe I shouldn't write whe I'm stressed...

Sorry that this post is a little bit of a downer...

4 comments:

Jensen Family said...

Sad days! Good luck. Hopefully something good will happen and cheer you up.

Laura said...

I'm sure everything will turn out okay. It is no fun being poor! I totally hear you. At the same time, Heavenly Father always seems to take care of things. I've come to find that all the time I spend stressing about money, usually wasn't worth it. Good luck!

The Frasers said...

Haven't you heard of 10 percenters?? yeah, I am sure The Lord will bless you! trust me, we're ALL poor right now. Don't worry though. One day we'll all look back on these days and say "Phew, I am glad that is over, but it was still fun!"

Laura Anderson said...

Wow... Sounds like you've had a rough time. Let me know if you need anything at all. A ride to campus or the store or dinner. I'm sure things will get better. All the bad things just seem to pile up at once... That's the way life goes. As for the poor thing I understand that... Well we're pretty good at the moment with our scholarships, but once Bobby's pharmacy school starts we'll definitely be broke...