Monday, June 15, 2009

Speaking Kind Words

For my religion class this semester I am taking "Teachings of the Living Prophets" and I just read an amazing talk called "The Tongue of Angels" by Elder Holland. I love reading the words of the prophet and his counselors. I always find that when I do, my days are a little easier to manage and I am able to look on the brighter side of those days that are a little harder to endure. I just wanted to share a few quotes that I really liked.

“no misfortune is so bad that whining about it won’t make it worse.”


“Husbands, you have been entrusted with the most sacred gift God can give you—a wife, a daughter of God, the mother of your children who has voluntarily given herself to you for love and joyful companionship. Think of the kind things you said when you were courting, think of the blessings you have given with hands placed lovingly upon her head, think of yourself and of her as the god and goddess you both inherently are, and then reflect on other moments characterized by cold, caustic, unbridled words. Given the damage that can be done with our tongues, little wonder the Savior said, “Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.”A husband who would never dream of striking his wife physically can break, if not her bones, then certainly her heart by the brutality of thoughtless or unkind speech. Physical abuse is uniformly and unequivocally condemned in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If it is possible to be more condemning than that, we speak even more vigorously against all forms of sexual abuse. Today, I speak against verbal and emotional abuse of anyone against anyone, but especially of husbands against wives. Brethren, these things ought not to be.”


“In that same spirit we speak to the sisters as well, for the sin of verbal abuse knows no gender. Wives, what of the unbridled tongue in your mouth, of the power for good or ill in your words? How is it that such a lovely voice which by divine nature is so angelic, so close to the veil, so instinctively gentle and inherently kind could ever in a turn be so shrill, so biting, so acrid and untamed? A woman’s words can be more piercing than any dagger ever forged, and they can drive the people they love to retreat beyond a barrier more distant than anyone in the beginning of that exchange could ever have imagined. Sisters, there is no place in that magnificent spirit of yours for acerbic or abrasive expression of any kind, including gossip or backbiting or catty remarks.”

And I just really like this quote (although it wasn't in the talk) “Treat your company like family and your family like company”

Anyway, I have been trying a little harder to watch what I say to my husband and I'll admit that we haven't had any ounce of an argument in a long time. It's the greatest feeling! In fact, this last week has been so much fun. We haven't really done anything, but we've spent a lot of time together just talking and I think I've laughed a lot more too. I know that communication is one of the keys to happiness in marriage, friendship, and any relationship that you may have with someone else. Anyway, I just wanted to share that with anyone who wanted to listen/read...

Have a good day.

No comments: