Sunday, August 9, 2009

FAMILY TIME!!!

I am fearful that if I do not take the time to document everything that has gone on during this trip, I will be unable to remember everything later. Firstly, we arrived in Georgia on the 29th of July at 11:49pm. The flights had been uneventful and we were extremely excited to see Derek’s parents. Little did we know we were about to have a MAJOR shock! After we found Derek’s mom and said our hello’s and got some excitement out, we headed to the car. On the way to the car we had to take an elevator to the 4th floor. We made it into the elevator and were engaged in some riveting conversation when out of know where the elevated jolted to a stop and then dropped at least a foot. Luckily, none of us were knocked off our feet. Our eyes were wide with horror ad we all braced ourselves for the elevator to go into a free fall. Then, after about 10 seconds, the elevator doors opened and we ran out of that elevator faster than humanly possible! We were all a little shaken up for a minute. We finally got into Derek’s parents house at about 1:20am. After Derek finished telling Betsy (his dog) how much he loved her a million times we settled in for bed.

The next day we got up and went to Lake Lanier Water Park for the day. Jennifer, James, Derek’s mom, Derek, and I went. It was a ton of fun. James was a little nervous at first, but after about 2 slides he suddenly because fanatic about the slides and we must have gone down a few of the slides at least 8 times. We had lunch at this cute little makeshift restaurant just outside the park. It was really nice and a great way to start Derek’s and my Summer Break!

Friday, Derek’s mom and I went shopping while the boys went and played Golf. We ate lunch at Mimi’s CafĂ© and then continued to do a little shopping. I spent a little more money than I would have liked but I LOVE the clothes I got. Plus, I really did need most of them. Cheri was also kind enough to give me some of her old clothes and now I practically have a new wardrobe!! Friday night the Gillilands came over and we all had dinner together and played cards together. We were having a great time until Derek pulled me aside to show me that he had some kind of pus pocket or something on his gums right above his dead tooth. I started to worry but he told me not to stress and that he would call Dr. Koodaba (I have NO idea how to spell his name). Well, he called and Dr. Koodaba said he couldn’t see Derek until Monday (which meant that we wouldn’t be able to leave for FL with my family until later on Monday afternoon). So I called my parents and told them. Dad told me that he had reserved that day especially for us so that he could spend time with us before working all week. I got really upset. I lost it. I started crying and Derek ended up holding me for awhile. However, after Derek consoling me a little bit I was much better. Plus, my parents were very understanding. Derek’s parents were also very sweet and willing to let us change our schedule or what not if needed.

Saturday, Derek’s mom, Jennifer, and I went and got manicures and pedicures! It was SO nice. I mean it was really heavenly. I really enjoyed it. All of our toes were SO CUTE!! (pictures to come). That was seriously SO relaxing and I could tell that Derek’s mom really enjoyed it too. Then, we went to the Braves vs. Dodgers baseball game. Sadly, (according to Derek’s family) the Dodgers lost. I really didn’t care much personally. But it was a good game. It was really fun and we enjoyed the family time together.

Sunday, we went to church and then had dinner with the Gillilands. We followed it up by playing a ton of card games and enjoying one another’s company. We had such a good time and I’m really excited that we get to go back and spend a few more days with them later on this week.

Monday, Derek dropped me off early at my parent’s house so that I could spend time with them while he was at the Dentist’s. I was so happy to see my family and I was bubbling with excitement. At about 9:30 I got a text from Derek telling me that his dentist appointment was over. So I quickly called him to ask how it was. He told me that he would have to get his tooth pulled and get a new implant. I acknowledged his answer and then asked when he would have surgery. He asked me why I wasn’t more upset. I told him because I had prayed about it and that I had prepared myself. He sounded disappointed and then told me that his tooth was fine and that his gums were simply a little inflamed. I was SO relieved. However, it had been 2 years since his last cleaning and his teeth were in some major need of cleaning. So, he scheduled an appointment for Friday to get his teeth cleaned and looked at. I’m much more willing now to pay for a cleaning than an entire surgery!! Haha. So, we left a little while after Derek got here. Once we arrived at the resort, Joel, Laurel, Cheri, and I went and took a look around while mom and Dad went shopping for some food. The resort was huge and WAY fun!

For the next 3 days we spent our days going kayaking, paddle boating, swimming, biking, and rock wall climbing and our nights playing cards and watching shark week together. It was really a blast. The only downside was that Dad had to work and Laurel had an allergic break out of hives so she wasn’t able to play with us outside as much as she would have liked.

I am still amazed at how much and how fast my siblings are growing and maturing. Joel is now like 5’9’’ and much more mature than he used to be. He now enjoys all types of foods and takes teasing really well. He and Derek are quite the little duo. Every time we would go up or down the elevator he and Derek would scream and yell the entire way like Bob Murray does in “What About Bob?” They quoted lots of different movies and TV shows and were really funny. We played Marco Polo every day in a crowded pool and by the time we got done it was quite nearly abandoned (hehe). We all did fairly well on the rock wall. The kayaks were really fun except Derek and Joel really enjoyed putting me in the middle and then splashing water all over me until I was soaked to the bone. But we really had a magnificent time full of a TON of memories!!

Thursday night we went to the Temple and had a great time doing some temple work. It was Laurel’s first time and that was great to share as a family. Afterward, we went to Olive Garden and had a really good time being loud and noisy and sharing a few laughs. I stuffed my face and was so full that I complained of how much my stomach was poking out. Mom and Cheri commented with an “Oh Brother.” A little while later we were discussing how full we were and my mom teasingly said “My tummy’s poking out!!” The next thing I knew Joel was dying of laughter. I don’t know why, but he thought that was the funniest thing he had ever heard. I think we made quite a scene with everyone laughing, but we didn’t really care. It was too much fun.

Friday we went golfing early in the morning and did 9 holes before leaving the resort. I of course sucked, dad didn’t do so well either, and Derek was pretty livid at how “poorly” he played too. We arrived back in Georgia that night and went straight to Chili’s to eat. That was really fun as well. We once again stuffed our faces and had some good laughs.

Saturday, mom and I did a little garage selling and then came back in time for everyone else to get up. We spent the rest of the day watching Man vs. Wild, going to a pool party/ice cream social at the pool, and then playing games for the rest of the night. We played Imaginiff and Scategories. It was REALLY fun. Joel and Derek were a team for Scategories and they totally dominated. Then finally, around midnight, we went to bed.

Today we went to church and here are a few comments I had.

Today in church I had some great insight and I wanted to write it down before I forget. Firstly, Bishop Hilton spoke about overcoming our trials and about how Heavenly Father is not the only one that gives us challenges, but Satan does as well in attempt to turn us away from God. He talked about how, if we pray earnestly, with real intent, that we will be able to receive personal revelation and an answer to our prayers. It really helped me to feel at peace with the stress of Derek needing to find an internship and me to find a job. Also, he talked with us about how once we receive an answer to something (and therefore know it is true), we cannot stray from it or turn our backs on it. I don’t know exactly why, but it made me think of how I know that I have a Heavenly Father who loves me and Derek. He knows our situation. He has already helped Derek and me to the extreme. I reflected back on our last year and the money that we made. I think together, after Derek completing an internship and me working at Mimi’s, we made about…$9,000. When we got our taxes done, it stated that we had a total income of about $23,000. That money came from our rent that was paid for by the people we manage for, the federal grants, my scholarships, and my academic grants. In other words, the rest of the money came from the Lord. In my eyes, we were able to provide $9,000 and the Lord provided us with the rest. To me, this is like the atonement. We give all that we can and in the end, the Lord pays the difference. I know that Derek and I would be hurting so much more and be in so much more debt in a way worse situation than we are now if it were not for of the great and merciful hand of my Heavenly Father.

President Wood also spoke on the plan of happiness and how, once we receive additional knowledge or truth, that does not mean that our life is going to get easier. In many ways, once we are given further knowledge and blessings, that is when the adversary comes at us harder and tries to challenge us more. I thought of when I went through the temple and when I got married. I took on some major responsibilities that have given me some of the greatest blessings. But along with those blessings, have come some major trials. Also, I really liked how he explained what it means to have a testimony and KNOW that something is true. I interpreted his words to be something like this. I KNOW that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true. I know that Christ lives and I know that the power of prayer and the priesthood is real. I do not know that because I have seen Christ in the flesh, but I know that because I have lived the Gospel and its teaching and have been incredibly blessed. I have put the commandments to the test and I have reaped the blessings. I have prayed and seen my questions and pleadings answered. I have seen men give blessings and the healing that comes from them. I have experienced all these things and through my experience, I know. He spoke of a man from the Book of Mormon who said that being Christian is stupid because we know a lot less than we don’t know. And that having faith is foolishness. He was a man of logic and reasoning. But I can tell you that we cannot reason with God. We must have faith. President Wood said, and I agree, that faith is everything bit as logical as logic, it is just different. I know that faith can do so much more than any amount of knowledge.

Today at church, I also got the chance to reflect on times that I have been served. I thought about Sister Marzarella and Sister Wood who were so kind to write me letters and be my friends even after I went to college. I am very grateful for them and for everyone else that has blessed my life in some way. I wish I could write them all, but it would take pages and pages to even list a few names.

Anyway, as you can probably tell, I had a great time at church. I got to visit with a lot of people that I had not seen for a long time. I am grateful for those people because they have been great friends and blessings in my life.

Well, everyone is taking a nap and I’m a little tired myself. I think I will wrap up and add some more later on this week!

No comments: