Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A new addition to the family!!!!!!

Yes, I'm sure you are all thinking "Gina's Pregnant!!" Alas, no. We got a PUPPY!! His name is Baxter and he is my birthday/christmas present (it hadd to count for both since German Shepherds cost an arm and a leg). He is a purebred with literal German Bloodlines. This basically means that he is slightly more slender than the American, his back is straighter (this makes him less prone to hip dysplasia), and he will also be taller. It was a hard choice on which puppy we wanted, but we didn't want the one that was too sweet that always wanted to be right next to you with short legs, we knew we didn't want the crazy aggressive one that ran straight up and bit your pantleg. So, when the Dad was brought out of the kennel and the owners threw a toy so that he would fetch it, we picked the one that ran after the toy with his dad. We wanted a semi-aggressive, very playful puppy. He was nervous when we first brought him home, but within 2 days he was bugging the heck out of Betsy, chewing on things, and eating anything he could get into his mouth. However, he is one of the sweetest dogs ever! He is very attached to me and follows me wherever I go. He likes our futon and will sit next to me while I do my homework. As I am currently writing this, he is sleeping to my right. He has already grown a TON and it is making me sad! He is not as fluffy and his body is getting longer and he is getting taller. His paws are still WAY too big for his body, but considering he still needs to triple in size, he has a ways to go. His Dad's head came up to Derek's belly button and a little below my chest. He'll probably be about 100 pounds. Ay ay ay, so we are beginning to train him the best we can!


We take them camping, hiking, and to the park at least a couple times a week. They love it! This last weekend we took them camping at Panther Creek. We slept near the beginning of the trail and that morning hiked our stuff to the car, then hiked to the waterfall, played for half an hour, and then hiked all the way back to the car in less than 3 hours. So we did about 7 miles in 2 1/2 hours. Poor Baxter was exhausted and whinned here and there the last 3 miles. But he did it! He's a trooper! Baxter and Betsy were also good and stayed right by us the entire time! What good puppies!!


First night at the house

So cute and fluffy!

His legs seem so short in this picture! And he's so plump!

Baxter LOVES Betsy. He does whatever she does



Look at that grin!!!
First Camping trip!!! The puppies loved it!! You probably can't tell but he has grown a ton!!! The first time I took him to the vet, we had already had him a week and he weighed18.5 pounds!! I wonder how much he'll weigh next time! I take him for a 3 week check up/another round of immunizations on Monday!! I'm excited to see how much he's grown!!

1 comment:

Laura Anderson said...

I love that you took them camping and hiking. It just reminds me of Melissa and Ty. lol. I'm glad you're enjoying your dogs. One day I'm sure we'll have a dog, but for now life is just so much fun with Ava.